Friday, October 31, 2008

TGIF Again...And Job Hunting Thoughts.

I am very thankful it is Friday. I cannot wait to sleep in tomorrow and relax a little bit. I am pretty worn out by Thursday every week. In fact, I can barely keep my eyes open for an entire episode of Grey's Anatomy (and its not because its a boring show).

But despite being constantly tired and worn out, I am grateful for my job. I have great bosses and co-workers. The building I work in is pretty cool, and has a nice cafeteria that serves breakfast and lunch. And the work itself is interesting to me. I know that the job market is tough for a lot of students right now, and I feel bad for everyone. But a lot of friends have recently said that I was "lucky" to get this job. So for all of you who think this job landed on my lap, let me tell you exactly how I got this job!

I had fully planned on going on to get an LLM in Tax Law following graduation last May. I had applied to about 10 different schools and was accepted by every one of them. I also planned on going back to Utah, to work in estate planning. But being the OCD person I am, I made sure I had other options. I was a little worried about taking on the extra debt of an LLM. Don't get me wrong, an LLM in tax law is a very good investment. But I wanted to see if anyone would consider giving me a job right away. I started looking for jobs like crazy in September of my 3L year.

So I applied to every tax law job and even business law job that popped up on the career services website. That was a bust for me. No replies for any of those positions. While I had done well in my tax law and business law classes, I had not done well in other classes and that hurt my overall GPA.

I went to Craigslist and poured through the legal and accounting/finance job postings. This approach provided me with a few responses, but nothing ever panned out.

I went to Monster and posted my resume. I received a few interested inquiries from some tax consulting firms. That was actually a good tactic. If anyone is interested in tax law, I recommend posting on Monster, and indicating you are willing to work in any location. I received calls from Chicago and New York for tax positions. But, I will warn you that you will also get a ton of stupid emails from insurance companies trying to hire you.

Another good tax jobs website I tried was Taxtalent.com. However, unless you have a decent amount of experience it is hard to get a job from this site.

The last and most successful tactic I used, was going through the Intercollegiate Job Bank. I would highly recommend asking career services about it. It provides the job postings from schools in every single state. I poured through postings from schools everywhere, and applied to jobs everywhere. This was by far the best place for me to get interviews. I found my current job in a posting at a law school in Georgia. The Intercollegiate Job Bank literally has thousands of jobs posted.

In the end, I applied to thousands of positions. I am not exaggerating. Anything business, tax, estate planning related, I applied to it. I was flexible in terms of location and it paid off. Out of all of the emails I sent, I only received 3-4 interviews. But it only takes one offer to have a job. I guess my point is that I was not lucky in getting my current job. I spent all of September and much of October of my 3L year sending out applications. I wasn't too disheartened by the rejection letters than came in the mail daily, because I made sure I had a back-up plan (LLM school).

That is my job hunting story..Good luck to all of you.. Trust me though, use the Intercollegiate Job Bank!

1 comment:

Patrick Everett said...

Another good job hunting resource other than Monster's is Peopleahead.com

It's a fairly new site but the job matches you'll get are pretty spot-on with what you're looking for.

They also happen to have an account on YouTube that's got some pretty funny and cute videos at http://www.youtube.com/peopleahead

So if you ever feel like looking for a new job again, try checking that site out.