Monday, February 1, 2010

Updates

Well, a lot has happened at work. Except, I have been unable to blog about it until now. I did not want to post about the situation at work because a few people who read this blog actually know the name of my current employer.

Anyway, I came back from my holiday break in December only to be told that a large number of partners/principals were leaving the firm to start their own "independent" firm. I was also told that a bunch of us were being traded back and forth between the partners that were leaving and the remaining partners. Of course, because I am one of only two people in the whole firm who is trained in an important specialty I was not allowed any choice in the matter. I was told that I would have to stay with the old firm, as the other person in my specialty was being traded (yup, we were being traded like baseball cards)to the new firm.

I had mixed feelings about the whole situation. It felt horrible knowing that some of the biggest rainmakers in the firm were leaving and I did not even have a choice about whether I could go with them. But on other side, I ended up realizing that this is my opportunity to shine. I have a lot of ideas regarding ways that client transactions in my specialty can be handled more efficiently and profitably. And strangely enough, with half of the partners gone, I now have more say in how things get done in my area of expertise. I figure I have nothing to lose. I am young enough that if this new situation does not pan out, I can always move on to somewhere else in a few years. But, I am going to try to stay optimistic and see what I can do...

No comments: